Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Make A Delicious Meal and Document It!



It was the part of Eating San Francisco that I had been waiting for all semester - the part where we get to cook! Cooking is one of my favorite things to do, especially when the recipes are vegan. Vegan cooking is challenging and it feels good to feed people, have them compliment the flavor, and then tell them that what they are eating is vegan. Many people have either had bad experiences with vegan food or have an illogical fear of vegan food and think it will taste "healthy" or flavorless. To prove them wrong feels good on its own, but what's even better is to show them that delicious food can indeed be made without supporting the corrupted meat, egg, and dairy industries. Sometimes it can be a pain to avoid these products because they are so engrained in our restaurants, recipes, and thought about food. However, learning to cook vegan food takes away the need for animal products, which never hurts.

When we were assigned to make a delicious meal and eat it, my friend Jessie and I looked at each other and knew we had to make it together. Jessie and I have been friends since middle school, when we met on the Little League field where our younger brothers were playing baseball. Lately, however, we had been seeing far too little of each other, and cooking was the perfect activity to do together to play a little catch up. Jessie and I had recently gotten lunch together at a place called Twilight Cafe near campus, and since then Jessie had been craving falafel like crazy. It was meant to be: falafel was the dish we were destined to make.
We decided to invite our boyfriends over and cook for them to share the love. I was apprehensive because falafel is generally a fried food and large amounts of oil near flames frighten me. Luckily, both of our boyfriends are EMTs, so I felt pretty safe. We started by putting some chickpeas in my food processor with parsley, onions, garlic, and some spices.



Parsley! (Super flattering picture, I know!)



Here's what it looked like once we blended it all together!



We then shaped them into little falafel cookies!



And fried them in a big scary pan of oil!



Then put them on a towel to drain...



To wrap it all up, we put tomatoes, lettuce, and tahini sauce in a pita and added our fried creation! Here's how delicious it looked!



But nothing's complete without good friends!

2 comments:

  1. Umm. Tasty wonderfulness. I want to eat that right now. Falafel rocks, and I had no idea it was that easy. Definitely my next undertaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job guys! and way to go, conquering your fear of boiling oil!

    ReplyDelete